james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Repositories (Design suggestion)
Date Sat, 03 May 2003 15:19:35 GMT
Danny Angus wrote:
>>    Would you use the listener capability to signal the arrival
>>    of new messages to the SpoolManager?
>
> I for one would be greatly in favour of promoting an event driven internal architecture.
> An events raised spooling and de-spooling messages would be a much neater method of maintaining
lists in spool manager threads than the current what-do-you-call-it method of listing the
contents of the spool.

There are two issues to resolve with that approach:
- How do you handle "wake" events.  For example, after 2 hours I need to
retry that message again.  What is checking this?
- How to make this distributed?  Alternatively, I'd say if we used a
centralized database server and relied on the db transactions to flag
that you were handling a spooled message, you could let multiple James
instances use a centralized spool.

--
Serge Knystautas
President