james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Spooler improperly waking threads
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 21:02:34 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> What LOAD_TIME_MINIMUM does is say that even though there may be messages
> pending in the spool, we won't look at them any more frequently than
> LOAD_TIME_MINIMUM.  It skews JDBC use such that we make fewer calls and get
> larger result sets, which is more efficient.  If I am reading the code
> properly, there is no point in making LOAD_TIME_MINIMUM > WAIT_TIME.
>
> Please let me know if you disagree with my analysis, or if it is not clear.

 From my perspective, LOAD_TIME_MINIMUM creates a bottleneck for
requests (to prevent the DB server from getting throttled).

This is rough, but say you had WAIT_LIMIT set to 60 seconds, but had 10
threads.  Then if evenly distributed, you would have be checking for
pending messages every 6 seconds.  So I would say generally you want
WAIT_LIMIT = LOAD_TIME_MINIMUM * # THREADS.  And so yes, making
WAIT_TIME < LOAD_TIME_MINIMUM would just result is the Thread checking
again before it's time to even check again.

--
Serge Knystautas
President