james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Spooler improperly waking threads
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 02:21:52 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Except that this really isn't a polling algorithm.  The threads wait for a
> max of 60 seconds, but the notify() call would wake one of them to do work,
> whenever a message arrives.  How does that change your reasoning?

It doesn't change it, just points out that it's rather insignificant. :)
  (yes this spool isn't really about polling, but the time settings
relate to what is basically polling.)

> What I have in mind is that in v2 we have multiple worker threads in
> JamesSpoolManager all reading the queue.  It would be cleaner for v3 to have
> a spooler thread that then dispatched messages to worker threads.  That
> allows cleaner synchronization, and follows the same model that NIO, JSR 166
> and util.concurrent promote.

Sure, sounds good.  Certainly seems like a more standard model.  I'm
surprised Avalon doesn't have something to support this already.

--
Serge Knystautas
President