james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHam...@EarthLink.net>
Subject Re: fix for bug 20370
Date Wed, 04 Jun 2003 19:06:21 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>- if the RFC says "the [receiver] MUST/MUST NOT [blah blah]," we should
>>not be lenient.
>

> When the RFC does not permit us to be lenient, we should not be lenient.

Noel,

I wonder if we are reading section 2.3.7, and especially this
sentence, the same way.

"Conforming implementations MUST NOT recognize or generate any other
character or character sequence as a line terminator."

The way I read it, it says nothing about CR or LF appearing alone in
the input stream except that they must not be recognized as a line
terminator.  It leaves open the possibility that CR and LF could
appear individually in the input stream -- but we must not treat them
as line terminators.

If you agree with the Postel philosophy, and if we read that sentence
the same way, then I would expect you to say we should not 501 upon
receipt of a misplaced CR or LF; that may be a time to be lenient.

Rich