james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Maxwell Grender-Jones <MGrenderJo...@email.com>
Subject Imap in James
Date Sat, 21 Jun 2003 15:15:03 GMT
Hi there,

I have been subscribed to the james-dev mailing list for around a week
now, and have seen no mention of plans for IMAP (impatient of me, I
know). As I run my own mail server, and frequently wish to access mail
from many different places, I would not consider using a server that
didn't have IMAP, however, looking at the clean design of James (vs. the
'it works brilliantly' of the unix tools, shortly followed by the hell
of configuring the damn thing), I would really *like* to use it...

Currently, the answer to the 'What about Imap?' question on the website
reads:

IMAP development had been stalled, but has recently attracted new
activity. IMAP support is scheduled for inclusion in James v3. In the
meantime, there is experimental code in the repository. If you are
interested in working on or trying the IMAP prototype code, join the
james-dev mailing list and let us know.

Firstly, how up to date is this? I certainly couldn't find any imap
related questions in the dev-archive (and if my browsing of the imap cvs
tree is correct, there haven't been any commits for at least 3 months).
If I have been remiss, I'd be silenced by a link referring to imap
development and plans. If not, I'm interested to know why there are 2
imap source trees in the proposals directory (although as far as I can
see only imap2 compiles against the cvs tree), and secondly about what
plans you have for taking it forwards.

I am a JAVA developer, and feel it's about time I put something back
into the OSS community (how original..) and was hoping that one of the
more long standing members of the james community could give me a more
detailed roadmap for IMAP development than 'Support by v3' :-) in order
that I might be able to work against those plans.

Regards,

Max

--
[M. Grender-Jones              MGrenderJones@email.com]

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.