james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Server statistics (was: Personal IP blacklists)
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:08:41 GMT
Note that on its face JMX is a services framework similar to avalon but with
less cruft and without the compiler-time checks (for better or worse).  My
stuff is a JMX SMTP Service for Jboss + later I'll do POP, IMAP and
Exchange...

If you know who I am, you know I'm the guy to do such a crackheaded thing.

-Andy

On 6/16/03 5:45 PM, "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHammer@EarthLink.net> wrote:

> A week or more ago on this list I saw mention of JMX
> <http://java.sun.com/products/JavaManagement/>, though I did not pay
> close attention to that thread, so perhaps I'm repeating something
> here.  I've read the first 15% of the JMX spec, and I have the
> impression that JMX is intended for uses such as monitoring server
> statistics and setting server control parameters, such as number of
> incoming connections per unit time and others which I listed earlier.
>
> I imagine that the class doing the work would have a variable which
> holds the statistic we care about.  For instance SMTPHandler might
> keep an int connectionsDuringLastMinute, which value could be sampled
> and displayed on a little gauge like the temperature gauge on the
> dashboard of my car.
>
> Similarly, that class could have a control variable, an int
> connectionsPerMinuteLimit, which the administrator could set, if
> needed, with a knob (or the best GUI equivalent) right under the
> gauge.  This would cause SMTPHandler to refuse or defer some incoming
> connections.
>
> That class might also keep a SortedSet of the IP addresses currently
> sending in the most mail, giving the administrator ability to limit
> the incoming rate from any given IP, just as easy as closing one of
> the windows a little bit in a car with electric windows.
>
> Logging comes to us from an age before GUIs.  It still serves some
> purposes well, but, for managing current, ongoing problems, much
> better pictures and real-time controls are within reach (hopefully
> speaking).
>
> Anyhow, do others think of JMX as useful for such monitoring and control?
>
> Rich

Andrew C. Oliver

http://jakarta.apache.org/poi
For Java and Excel, Got POI?