james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Javadoc @version, @since and CVS $Id$
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:16:26 GMT
> If there is (I don't know,
> sorry) a currently mantained numbering scheme, we could use it,
> otherwise it could be used the v2 numbering until v3 is under
> development only.

There is a numbering scheme, best let Noel of Serge explain it.. my understanding is is..
current HEAD is v3, working towards release v3.0, first alpha will be 3.0a1, first release
candidate will be 3.0rc1
first released version will be 3.0.0

Current stable is v2, currently v2.2, first alpha would be 2.2a1 first release candidate 2.2rc1
Small fixes, eg bugfix, might be released as 2.2.1, larger changes would result in 2.3

> I think that all this could be a convention that everyone could
> follow, because IMHO it is useful for understanding the evolution
> of the code, and very simple to implement: just a "copy and
> paste".  What do you think? Is there a better way of doing it? Is
> it worth?

I'm not sure that "@version 2.2.0" matching the release version makes much sense, because
it means we'd have to change it for no reason when the version changes.

Otherwise I think its a reasonable idea.

d.