james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini" <vincenzo.gianferrarip...@praxis.it>
Subject RE: Axis mailet / matcher
Date Thu, 05 Jun 2003 12:39:41 GMT
Tim,

Just yesterday evening I started asking myself (dreaming) about that, and downloaded a fresh
copy of axis to have a look!

I think (dream) that there are two independent possibilities:

1) Have James deploy web services to respond to administrative requests (whatever they may
be) using SOAP over HTTP: I think that RMI support would be enough and better, and much easier
to implement.

2) Have James become a "native" SOAP over SMTP server, both (i) to respond to administrative
requests (mailets could be reconfigured runtime with messages - something that can obviously
be done also with plain messages, but a protocol could be defined), and (ii) to deploy generic
asynchronous web service *applications*: a grand new world, and probably very unique being
James also a "general purpose" mail server. But this would be probably a big project.
Unfortunately Axis seems to not have any SMTP support. There exists an SMTP/HTTP bridge with
Apache SOAP deployed on Tomcat (http://ws.apache.org/soap/faq/faq_chawke_smtp.html), but I
have just started digging around, and know very little about.

IMHO option 2-ii above is ambitious but exciting too! And totaly independent of option (1),
that as I said I would attack, if interesting, using RMI.

Has anyone else ever thought about those topics?

Vincenzo