james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Personal IP blacklists
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 19:36:19 GMT
> I've already got the database open, so I'd rather keep all the relative
> info there.

You also have the DNS available, and I suspect that it might be quicker
(actually, if I correctly recall my benchmarks from before, forget the
"might" part).

> And actually, in the back of my mind, I've been thinking about how to
> make these personal blacklists sharable... kinda a napster-blacklist.

DNS RBLs are sharable (obviously).

> But anyway, what it did lead me to was the idea of having the blacklist
> matcher point at the *message store*.  As spam fills my spam folder,
> when it was something I wanted to blacklist, I would copy it from my
> spam store to my blacklist store.  Then the matcher would look for any
> messages from the sending IP address in this blacklist store

Major performance issue.  However, a service could periodically poll a
message store, and populate a block list.

That sort of service could resolve some other issues, e.g., another
derivation of the same abstract service could periodically poll a
"reprocess" folder, and insert those messages back into the queue.  Take a
look at FetchScheduler, and perhaps abstract from there.

> This also preserves the evidence for why I blacklist them.

Maintaining the spam/evidence database is certainly worth doing.  But for
publishing the block list, itself, I would suggest the DNS RBL approach.

FWIW, we can fairly easily integrate block listing into the fast-fail code.

	--- Noel