james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Server statistics (was: Personal IP blacklists)
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2003 07:05:04 GMT
JMX is very conceptually compatible with the ad hoc approach Jason and I had
discussed last summer.  Remember what I said about using a statistics object
and a registry?  From the JMX specification: "The MBean server is a registry
for MBeans [in the application.]"  Very similar concepts.  Not that I would
claim uniqueness.  SNMP, /proc, and other schemes are all in the same
pattern.

JMX is the right way to do this for James, since it is a standard, provides
control, is embedded in Phoenix, is growing in use, and provides a
replacement for the aging remote manager interface.

> I imagine that the class doing the work would have a variable which
> holds the statistic we care about.

Classes.  Plural.  Lots of beans.  :-)

> This would cause SMTPHandler to refuse or defer some incoming
> connections.

Minor nit, but this is wrong.  You need to understand the archtectural
relationships between some of the components.  The protocol handler is used
after a new connection is established.  Rejecting a new connection based
upon busy state would happen elsewhere.

As I've said before, please feel free to contribute.  If you're interested
in working on JMX for James, got for it.  :-)

Avalon has been using http://mx4j.sourceforge.net/.

	--- Noel