james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Wellington <bwell...@xbill.org>
Subject RE: DNS problem?
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:56:06 GMT
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Thanks for your response.  I didn't spot code to eliminate TTL 0 records
> when I did my first pass looking at the code.  If I get some time, I'll look
> again.
>
> We could modify the code to use the result from cache.addMessage.  When the
> code was updated from dnsjava 1.2.3 to dnsjava 1.3.2, I don't believe that
> Serge noticed the change in cache handling.
>
> If we could use your code directly, that would be even better.  That way we
> would not have to maintain the DNS lookup code.  The problem is supporting
> logging.  Our DNSServer.rawDNSLookup method, is pretty closely derived from
> the Lookup.lookup() method, and dns.lookup() before that, adapted for our
> logging needs.
>
> http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-james/src/java/org/apache/james/dnsser
> ver/DNSServer.java
>
> Do you have a suggestion as to how we can address the logging situation?  We
> can't use JDK 1.4 logging: there is no implementable interface, just a
> heavyweight logging object.  However, we could easily use the Jakarta
> Commons Logging log interface:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/api/org/apache/commons/logging/Log
> .html

I'd prefer to not have an external dependency on any logging framework.
It would be pretty simple to define a basic logging object that provided
error/debug/warn/info/whatever, and could be used to wrap the logging
object you're using, if that would be sufficient.

Unfortunately, I don't have any time to work on dnsjava for at least the
next few weeks.

Brian