james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Guðlaugur Stefán Egilsson <...@dimonsoftware.com>
Subject Synchronous processing of inbound emails
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:11:46 GMT
I've been looking at James in order to use its SMTP service capability.
The problem is that I need synchronous processing, e.g. I need to be
able to process an email while the SMTP client is still connected, and
give an SMTP error response if I could not process the mail. In the
current implementation of James this is not provided for, since all
email messages go through the spool first, and are processed
asynchronously in a separate thread.

My question to the developers is what is the most sensible way of doing
this? It seems to me that the simplest way of achieving synchronous
processing is to modify James.sendMail(Mail mail) to bypass the spool
and call JamesSpoolManager.process(MailImpl mail) directly in the case
you want synchronous processing.

Gudlaugur Stefan Egilsson
Dimon Software