james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Hontvari Jozsef" <hontva...@solware.com>
Subject Bounce, outgoing reverse path and fromAddress
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 14:23:48 GMT
If I understand well, the Bounce mailet should be modified to set the
reverse path of the outgoing mail to NULL. Currently it only sets the
Return-path header.

On the other hand, IMHO, setting the Return-path unnecessary, that is the
task of the receiving server.

Analysis:
Bounce currently sets up the outgoing notification message in this way:
-Return-path header = NULL
-envelope sender alias reverse path (and fromAddress) = "sender"
configuration parameter (assume postmaster)
-recipient: reverse path of the original incoming mail. (Actually it uses
the Return-path header of the original mail, but as I see James always sets
that to the reverse path when smtp receives them message, so reverse path
and return-path are always the same from incoming messages.)

Let assume that the other mail server is also a James server. What happens
is that:
-it receives the mail with a reverse path postmaster
-it overwrites the Return-path header of the mail with the reverse path,
i.e. our postmaster!
-the bounce has an invalid address (virus or spam)
-it takes the new Return-path, which is postmaster, and sends back the
message to out postmaster. Of courese this is what we wanted to avoid.