james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Darrell DeBoer <darr...@apache.org>
Subject JavaMail for storage?
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:48:13 GMT
G'day,

I'm looking into implementing persistence in the Imap2 proposal, and I'm
having a look at using JavaMail as our mailstore interface. (From memory,
that was the plan for JamesV3).

Because JavaMail is a client-oriented API, the Store, Folder and Message
classes seem to be connection-specific, where they don't make sense except in
the context of a connected user.

For example, Store.getPersonalNamespaces() gets the namespaces for a user, and
Folder.listSubscribed() lists all of the subfolders that a user is subscribed
to.

In addition, a Message object has getMessageNumber() but this may be different
for different users with different connections and can change when messages
are expunged.

In light of this:
1) It seems unlikely that we'll find an existing persistent JavaMail
implementation that satisfies the needs of the ImapServer, as it would need
to be able to provide a persistent Store on a per-user basis.
2) Given 1), do we *really* want to use JavaMail as our API? We will need to
implement JDBC and File-backed implementations ourselves, providing
user-aware access to the underlying repository. Does this buy us anything,
except that we don't need to come up with an API ourselves?

Has anyone got an idea of how hard this will be to implement?
--
ciao,
Daz