james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Sandiep U. Sharma" <sandiin...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: new InputStream class for mail data
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 15:20:56 GMT
Hi

Since we are talking about improving SMTP data handler
class I want to draw attention to some performance
issues I had found earlier while analyzing
CharTerminatedInputStream class.

The point of major concern was the use of read method
to read data from Socket InputStream. for example if
we consider an average mail size of 40KB, read method
will be called 40 x 1024 = 40960 times and that
consumes lot of CPU time. Number of calls can be
easily reduced to just 20 if use block size of 2KB and
that makes a huge difference of the overall throughput

I have used PushBackInputStram and block read method
to implement a mail proxy server for one of our client
and the benchmark results were quite impressive
against nonblock read method. In my case my server's
mail handling capability increased two times.

Sandi

--- "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHammer@EarthLink.net>