james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: JavaMail for storage?
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:32:40 GMT
Darrell DeBoer wrote:
 > G'day,
 >
 > I'm looking into implementing persistence in the Imap2 proposal, and I'm
 > having a look at using JavaMail as our mailstore interface. (From
memory,
 > that was the plan for JamesV3).

Darrell,

Thanks for looking into this!  I understand your concerns, but as Noel
indicated and a few other motivations:
a) we're going to have to implement a custom file and JDBC
implementation of an advanced store.
b) the assumption is the requirements for this advanced store is very
similar to the requirements for JavaMail store's.  What extra
functionality we might have could be an extended Store (maybe call it
ServerStore...dunno exactly)
c) we could quickly leverage maildir, mbox, and other JavaMail store
implementations, giving us more integration options.

Anyway, the devil is in the requirements analysis, so it's great if
you've started into this.  If JavaMail isn't close enough to what we
need, either we can't use the same API or some extension of it, then we
can roll our own.

--
Serge Knystautas
President