james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Advice on Message Flags.
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:36:03 GMT
Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I'm playing around with the IMAP2 proposal again, and I'm wondering if anyone
> has experience/advice on how the message flags should behave.
>
> Namely, should flags (like \Seen) be stored on a per-user basis, or is a
> simple global flag sufficient (at least for now)? The spec is a bit vague on
> this matter, or maybe I'm not looking in the right place. Anyone got
> experience with other IMAP servers who's aware of the standard approach?

I think flags are per message, not per user.  I would have to test, but
for instance if I flagged a message as deleted, it is deleted even if
users shared that folder.

Reading over the JavaMail JavaDoc, it says these are message-specific,
and doesn't imply per-user flags.  There are user-defined flags, but
those are different types of flags, not how flags work.

--
Serge Knystautas
President