james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: Mailet API changes
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 16:00:09 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Is there is change that you would want to make to the proposed API, or are
> you raising a procedural issue?  I would like to see the functionality
> integrated.

My notes below on the actual changes, but I think we need to discuss
changes before committing them to the mailet API (v2 or v3).  I think
we've discussed and agreed for v3, but not discussed adequately for v2.

> There are two changes to the Mailet API that have been proposed for v2.2
> that are compatible:
>
>   1 - mail attributes

Just adds to the API.  It's something everyone wants, it doesn't create
backwards compatibility.  Seems reasonable to me.  Maybe make a bigger
version # jump, but already this is for v2.2 (not 2.1.x)

>   2 - deprecating setSender/getSender in favor
>       of setReversePath/getReversePath

I like this, but for the reason nobody discusses... it focuses the
mailet API on handling SMTP traffic, and not trying to be some big
messaging scope-creep project.

Again, as it's additive, I don't think it's a big issue.

Maybe the better solution is to put the mailet API on a separate release
schedule, so it's clear that James 2.1.x implements mailet API 1.0 and
James 2.2 implements mailet API 1.1.

> I'm fine with reving the version to Mailet API v2.something or some other
> procedural change.  That's similar to why we've proposed calling the next
> version 2.2.0, instead of 2.1.4.

I think this is the first revision to the mailet API (aside from v3
changes) since its release many years ago.  And as it's minor, I would
move it to 1.1 as opposed to using the Microsoft versioning formula:

#foreach (product in suite)
   product.version = max(product.version in suite)
#end

:)

--
Serge Knystautas