james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHam...@EarthLink.net>
Subject Re: new InputStream class for mail data
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:07:47 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> It all depends upon the RFC compliance.

To summarize this question in my view, RFC 2821 clearly offers two
interpretations (that the end of data indicator is a period alone in a
line; that the end of data indicator is CRLF.CRLF) which lead to two
different sets of behavior in a few cases which probably are not very
important.

This confusion originates in the wording of the RFC.  I think the
RFC's writers did not understand the difference between "a period
alone in a line" and "CRLF.CRLF", a difference which may be noticed by
only a few writers of parsers.

Because the RFC offers these two interpretations, I expect that each
interpretation has been expressed in some presently working code.
Each interpretation probably has people who would fight for it.  As
such, if we assume that the writers of a future revision to the RFC
become conscious of the confusion possible on this issue, I expect
they will deliberately adopt wording which continues to allow both
interpretations.

As such, I suppose James is safely RFC compliant on this issue as it
is now.

But, between the two interpretations, both of which I believe must
ultimately be acceptable, I sort of like the "a period alone in a
line" interpretation better, because I suppose that was first
historically.  The first idea was probably to put "a period alone in a
line" as a way to signal the end of data.

A subsequent, later idea, probably thought up by programmers who
needed to implement "a period alone in a line"  was to scan for
"CRLF.CRLF" (as I am guessing the history).  In fact "CRLF.CRLF" was
probably favored by many programmers as the way to indicate "a period
alone in a line" because it is easier to search for than "a period
alone in a line".

But, as I continue to insist, the two interpretations lead to
different behavior in a few minor ways in programs which attempt to
comply with RFC 2821.

The SMTPDataInputStream class which I have written expresses the "a
period alone in a line" interpretation, and thus behaves differently
from the present James classes in two small ways, as described in its
Javadoc.

Rich