james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: SMTP AUTH checking matchers
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:13:00 GMT
Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini wrote:
> It's the ability to check from within any mailet if, when SMTP AUTH is active, the sender
user has been successfully authenticated and also his name.

> The name is passed along with the mail as a mail attribute named "org.apache.james.SMTPAuthUser",
and can be get with a command like:

> 	String authUser = (String) mail.getAttribute("org.apache.james.SMTPAuthUser");

Great stuff.  This was one of best reasons for mailet attributes, IMHO.

> I understand that we might need to do some CVS juggling, to better tag the old code (perhaps
the Mailet API). But as I'm going away for a long weekend (until Monday) I just wanted to
turn it in before leaving.

Yes, seems like we should get the mailet API vs. james (server) release
schedules better defined in the short-term now.  This may also help
usher in some of the other changes pending in 3.0.

> A second more general topic regarding mail attributes: as I just said I've used an attribute
named "org.apache.james.SMTPAuthUser", defined in SMTPHandler and in two new matchers using
a "private final static String" constant in each of them (and using the constant name instead
of the string - mail.getAttribute(SMTP_AUTH_USER_ATTRIBUTE_NAME)):

I think there might be a large number of constants for attributes we'll
want to do.  I think these should be part of the Mailet API though
(instead of SMTP Handler), and would put them on Mail.

> It would be better to start using a "org.apache.mailet.Attributes" class in v3 and a
"org.apache.james.util.Attributes" class in v2, similar to the RFC2822Headers class, just
to hold any such new attribute name constant and reference it from everywhere. Or perhaps
something else.

I think Attributes is design overkill.  I think constant Strings is great.

--
Serge Knystautas
President