james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject More info from bounces
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:01:17 GMT
I vaguely remember discussing this, but don't remember if anything
conclusive was reached.  I'm trying to hack together a VERP system (send
emails with unique return-path so I can see which messages were
undeliverable), and the challenge I have is the exact error message is
buried deep in the message.

I know I can't address whether another server sends me a bounce, but
what about doing something like stick the error response as a header in
the bounce message?  That way for most bounces (that are generated
internally), I'll be able to easily retrieve the most pertinent data.

The motivation for this is to recognize soft bounces (mailbox full, mail
servers down) from hard bounces (mailbox does not exist, invalid domain
name, etc...)

--
Serge Knystautas
President