james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: More info from bounces
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:26:24 GMT
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>The motivation for this is to recognize soft bounces (mailbox full, mail
>>servers down) from hard bounces
>
> Servers should probably not be sending a bounce, or at least a non-RFC 1894
> bounce, for a soft error.  VERP seems to be somewhat predicated upon bounces
> being permanent, at least for that message.  To work around the fact that
> the errors may relate to a transient mailbox error, it seems that VERP
> mailers will be tolerant of a configured number of bounces, and will then
> send an "warning message" to inform the user.  If the warning bounces, the
> user is disconnected from the list.  That seems to describe the behavior
> I've seen from ezmlm, but Brian (or perhaps some of our members) would know
> better.

Here's an update on my data, and actually makes me think we need to
hurry up and add this. :)

# of bounces: 1374
# of James bounces: 541
# of non-James bounces: 833
# of non-James bounces w/RFC 1894: 514
% of non-James bounces w/RFC 1894: 61.7%

I've only glanced at the spec so don't really know how much work it
would take, but it seems this is much more widely adopted than I had
thought.

--
Serge Knystautas
President