james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Danny Angus" <da...@apache.org>
Subject RE: James Console Contribution
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2003 11:13:29 GMT

> here is a basic Console for managing James Mail Server from my own.

> Any feedback is welcome,

It looks really great.

Why did you choose Eclipse SWT over Swing?

My own recent experience, particularly with "Skin Look and Feel"
http://www.l2fprod.com/, suggests that Swing is a better all round performer
on all platforms than  Eclipse SWT and using Skin L&F to apply GTK1 skins to
java GUI goes a long way towards removing the creaky java look and feel. You
can re-skin the same app to look at home on classic mac, OSX, Win 2k, WinXP,
Linux GTK and of course custom themes coutesy of
http://themes.freshmeat.net/

Of course a mail admin isn't going to care much about the L&F of the admin
app, but a skinnable GUI restores the benefits of WORA and a single download
for all platforms.

Whatever you do don't let me put you off, well done :-)

d.