james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini" <vincenzo.gianferrarip...@praxis.it>
Subject RE: Bounce, outgoing reverse path and fromAddress
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 15:05:28 GMT
Yes, in Bounce the reverse path should become null (MailImpl.setSender(null)). I had completely
misunderstood the rules for bouncing.

We need a new getReversePath/setReversePath/<reversePath> and, for consistency, a new
getFrom/setFrom/<from> (your suggestion yesterday) in the AbstractRedirect hierarchy,
and modify the other getX/setX/<x> accordingly.

The redirect mailet should have a "smart" default behaviour for the four "sender" related
parameters (<returnPath>, <reversePath>, <sender> and <from>), as
it has (and must continue to have) for <recipients> and <to>.

My misunderstanding for Bounce came out from watching the existing "bounce" code in james:

1) MailImpl.bounce sets the reverse-path to the bounced mail recipients , and uses the Return-Path
header set by MimeMessage.reply, that I don't know if set to NULL.

2) James.bounce sets correctly the Return-Path header to NULL ("<>") but sets the reverse-path
to the "bouncer", that is also used for the new >From header.

Both should be fixed (or not?).

Vincenzo