james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: JavaMail for storage?
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2003 15:18:35 GMT
Darrell,

Can you go into more detail as to the nature of the problem(s)?  It had
looked to me that when we were going to store mail for a user, we would get
a Store representing that user's mailbox.  That is the same model we
currently use, where LocalDelivery gets the mailbox for each user to which
it is delivering mail.  That is the logical view, at least currently.

It seems to me that any alternative to JavaMail would require us to
implement all of the IMAP features without leveraging JavaMail.  For
example, Store.getPersonalNamespaces() resolves eventually to
IMAPProtocol.namespace(), which implements the RFC 2342 NAMESPACE command.
Likewise, Store.listSubscribed resolves to IMAPProtocol.lsub, which
implements the RFC 2060 LSUB command.  Regardless of how we implement an
IMAP store, we need to implement those commands (and others).  On the other
hand, since JavaMail's IMAP store is implemented using the IMAP protocol, it
defers the operations to the server, leaving us still needing to implement
those commands.

If we need an alternative, the ldapd folks have proposed reverting to an
earlier proposal to use JNDI as the single storage interface.  Serge also
has a proposal that provides a unified addressing space for message stores.

Since you are starting to take a good hard look at implementing message
stores using JavaMail or an alternative, this is a good time to work out the
details either way.

	--- Noel