james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: MLMS: Pure Java Mailing List Management System -- born in Japan, named "Majavdomo"
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 04:08:18 GMT
Kinoshita-san and Kitahata-san,

Can we get some english language description of Majavdomo?  The old list
serv in James was very anemic.  The new one written by Mark Imel provides an
extensible list server.  What is Majavdomo's structure?  How many
components?  How are they related?

It would be best to move this discussion to the developer list.

We will want to converge on a single, flexible, MLM to support in James.
Right now Mark's code is the most capable, but it isn't very mature (brand
new), and there are other people offering to contribute to a future powerful
MLM for James.  Certainly we are interested to understand Majavdomo, and how
it might fit.

	--- Noel

-----Original Message-----
From: Shin [mailto:shin@sk-jp.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 1:39
To: general@james.apache.org
Cc: Tetsuya Kitahata
Japan, named "Majavdomo"

Hello all,

I'm Shin KINOSHITA, a leader of the Majavdomo project.
KITAHARA-san has suggested us the Majavdomo project should be
incubated into apache.org.
We really appreciate this suggestion, then we would like to
introduce our project briefly.

Our goal is to create the Java-based-MLMS which can easily meet
the different requirements in MLs.
The founder of the Majavdomo project, Dr. Hiromitsu TAKAGI (who
belongs to 'National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and
Technology' right now), had operated some MLs by legacy MLMS, and
had fixed many problems.

However, legacy MLMS was inappropriate for modifying the system,
because of its insufficient flexibility.

The Majavdomo has plenty of pluggable extension points and
systematic data-management mechanism, therefore it will overcome
the problem.
In these days, TAKAGI-san is very busy to work on the
security-related matters, and do not have much time to spend on
this project.
But, the project is already stocked with his know-how and
discussions.

For examples,
avoiding the spam, avoiding the loop, foolproof operations
(contains safe un/subscribing), moderation, fast message
distribution, member management (as the person, not the address),
security, supporting i18n (perhaps m17n also), etc ...

The current release of Majavdomo is version 0.4.0, and this
version is applicable to common MLs.
We are now on the phase to refactor some functions unconsidered at
the first phase, or to implement several missing features which
MLMS should have.

We are confident to contrive our design, but the problem is the
lack of developers who have enough time.
We are very glad to greet new users and developers in
cooperation with ASF.

We are able to provide the source codes and its executable, and
some Majavdomo developers who may communicate in English.

Regards,

--
http://www.sk-jp.com/