james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Lindsay Smith" <lind...@wapdat.com>
Subject RE: Message path tracing
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 06:00:29 GMT
That is a great idea.  The DEBUG logs I know have everything I need to
analyse my mailets, but I find them over whelming to read.  I was just
introduced to Log4J's LogFactor5 and I was pondering if that could help me
with reading James logs, by somehow filtering, to group messages by email
id, from the smtp log.

cheers
Lindsay

-----Original Message-----
From: Serge Knystautas [mailto:sergek@lokitech.com]
Sent: 29 July 2003 03:00
To: server-dev@james.apache.org
Subject: Message path tracing

One issue I've noticed on server-user@ is people not knowing how their
messages get routed.  Turning on DEBUG in the spool is useful, but it
can often be a bit overwhelming.

As another way to debug, you could turn on a switch in the conf file and
have per-message ID log files.  I was thinking we would use a
combination of the SMTP ID # that James creates, ThreadLocal, and some
simple add-ons to the existing mailet context logging.

The logging cycle (per file/message) would go like this...
- mark that it was received via smtp (or maybe fetchpop?)
- starting this processor
- any log messages from matchers/mailets also get put in here
- report what mailets do fire (?), so you can see which matchers
evaluate to true, and if a message keeps circulating.
- say it ended.

A note or two...
1. if you do MailetContext.sendMail, that gets a new #, and the original
message log file should report that it sent something and created that
new #.  This should let you see.... 4.log has entry "sent message to
create #5", see 5.log has entry "sent message to create #6", etc...

The only issue perhaps is what happens when some bloak leaves this on in
a production environment... do we stop logging or do roll-overs after
some point, or what?

--
Serge Knystautas
President