james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: IMAP Development Pointers
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 14:22:24 GMT
Edward Flick wrote:
> Yeah, maildirs seem pretty effective as a store.  Thats actually what I was
> hinting at (with a link file instead of real links as this is a java program
> and will be running on platforms which don't support real links).  I don't
> buy into the idea that creating multiple files will cause much more disk
> thrashing, as a spool file can be scattered all of over the drive too.

Agreed.  Individual files per messages is much better than single files
per folder (I would think).

> Although, the open/close efficiency issue is real, BUT I think this can be
> counteracted with a good full-text index file.  Also, thanks to the newer
> journaling file systems, it would be a lot easier to guarantee that a
> message is uncorrupted.  Although, I definetely think the indexing system
> should
> be implemented after a simple maildir implementation is put into place.

I would recommend Lucene for the indexing.  API is a bit goofy, but it's
very fast, a Jakarta project, and I'm familiar with it if you have
questions.

> Anyways, this would just be a step to at least get this into something close
> to a beta phase.  What do you guys think?

Sounds great to me.  I believe the biggest hurdle was just the stores,
and then we could at least start testing more widely.

--
Serge Knystautas
President