james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Edward Flick" <e...@cdf-imaging.com>
Subject RE: IMAP Development Pointers
Date Fri, 05 Sep 2003 21:22:45 GMT
Kervin, just so you know that was Surge that wrote that.  I wrote a response
which your post gives a perfect example to.

-----Original Message-----
From: Kervin L. Pierre [mailto:kervin@blueprintinc.com]
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2003 4:03 PM
To: James Developers List
Subject: Re: IMAP Development Pointers

Edward Flick wrote:

> In fact I was under the impression that INBOX is a reserved folder name,

True

> that it should always be there, and you are not allowed to create
> subfolders of it.

You are allowed.

> Anyway, the mail servers I am familiar with do place INBOX at the same
> left as Sent, Draft, and whatever other top level folders you might have
> rather than nesting everything under INBOX.

I believe that it is up to the client that is making those mailboxes.  I
use mozilla, and it creates those mailboxes under the INBOX mailbox.

Here is some hierarchy of multiple mailboxes on my cyrus imap server

user.kervin.Trash@kervin.net (\HasNoChildren)
user.kervin.lists.james@blueprintinc.com (\HasNoChildren)
user.kervin.lists@blueprintinc.com (\HasChildren)
user.kervin@blueprintinc.com (\HasChildren)
user.kervin@kervin.net (\HasChildren)

Cyrus appends the user's domain name at the end of every mailbox for
virtual server support.

Kervin Pierre

http://kervin.net/

kervin@blueprintinc.com