james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: IMAP Development Pointers
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2003 19:33:32 GMT
Jason,

Support for maildir would be helpful, but one issue is how to express the
hierarchy.  I think that is really a key issue.  For example, is there one
repository, or does each folder look like a repository?  This is really an
important consideration, both in terms of abstraction and implementation.

Repositories today gloss over the distinction of store and folder because
there is only one folder, really each repository is a separate folder.
JavaMail has folders within a store.  Serge and I have both proposed name
space federation that allow folders to be within a store, but do not require
it.  Within JavaMail that would have to be some sort of federating provider.
With JNDI it is more transparent.

This distinction also provides us a path now to add Folders, since it is
just playing with the namespace, and can be compatible (even if not ideal)
with the current Cornerstone Store package.  As you noted elsewhere:

> My only comment is the use of the .select() method. When a user's
> repository is opened the method call is .select("username")
> To access folders I'd propose the use of .select("username.foldername")
> when the server want a folders contents.

which fits with what I said, too.  The string "username.foldername" is just
a name (key), so we can use it with the current infrastructure.

Don't worry too much about links.  When we get JNDI into the mix, it can
handle all of that, and we may just need the single level implementation
(although it would be nice to optimize moving and sharing messages under the
covers).

I agree with Serge about using Lucene to provide indexing for IMAP.  But
before we do that, here is a serious question.  Does anyone want to help
with Eyebrowse development, either in eyebrowse.tigris.org or here?
Eyebrowse needs work, but core portions of it build indices using Lucene for
full-text, and also build message, author, thread, etc., indices in a
relational database.  You can see it working at
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/.  The current version of eyebrowse
requires too much manual and scripted administration, but it occurs to me
that if it were integrated with the IMAP service, it could be a lot more
automatic.  Either way, we might want to look at the code.

	--- Noel