james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Phillip Hudson" <Phil...@prhudson.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject Please Help!
Date Sat, 11 Oct 2003 09:06:15 GMT
Hello everyone.

Remember the e-mail I sent earlier this week about not being able to send
external mail?

Seems the solution is a much simpler one than anyone might expect.

The problem I was having was that all e-mail I sent externally, was returned
with the message : Could not connect to SMTP host.

After a quick Google search for this text I found the answer at The Mail
Archive.

Seems the problem is that the connection to the remote SMTP server times out
before the mail has time to be sent to it. Setting the <connectiontimeout>
interval of the SMTP server in config.xml to something silly like 6000000
seems to improve the situation. I can now send mail to most of the addresses
I have tried so far. I have set up a couple of web mail addresses at Yahoo
Mail and Netscape Mail. Still struggling to send the Netscape mail address
{user}@Netscape.net but all others appear to be working fine.

My thanks go to Aristeo Sanchez, Noel J Bergman and Danny Angus for
communicating the problem on The Mail Archive.
Special thanks to Carlos Cortes del Valle for your personal assistance.

Regards

Phillip Hudson.