james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Phillip Hudson" <Phil...@prhudson.fsnet.co.uk>
Subject Please Help!
Date Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:08:08 GMT
Hello,

I am having loads of trouble with James. In particular with sending e-mail
to addresses outside of my own domain.

Can you help please, I don't know which way to start.

The problem in particular is that when I send an e-mail, the mailet.log file
has messages of the kind:

            javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host:

(among other things)

I get this with every mail I try to send. After 5 retries James will send a
mail to postmaster:

Hi. This is the James mail server at Server.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.  Below I
include the list of recipients and the reason why I was unable to deliver
your message.

(recipient address)
Could not connect to SMTP host: (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)., port: 25

I've tried installing and running a different mail-server package - ArgoSoft
Mail Server (yuk!) and it sends e-mail fine which suggests to me that it is
the way I have James configured that is causing a problem.

I receive e-mail through James without any problems, and I can send and
receive e-mail to addresses within my own domain with no problem. It's just
when I need to send external mail I get the problem.

I have spent loads of time fiddling around with the configuration but it
makes no difference.

I thank you in advance

Kindest Regards

Phillip Hudson.