james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Brewin" <sbre...@synsys.com>
Subject RE: RemoteDelivery progressively increasing delay-time
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 09:38:44 GMT
Soeren Hilmer wrote:
> I like Serge's "attempts" version best,

But as Noel noted in his reponse to Serge, the Mailet API does not support
it. You could work around this by  optionally comma delimiting an attempts
value in the <delayTime> tag...

<delayTime> msecs [, attempts]</delayTime>

<delayTime> 600000 </delayTime>
<delayTime> 600000, 3</delayTime>

> but in this case are
> maxRetries then
> to be disregarded? Or is it to be used on the last delaytime
> entry, if the
> attempts attribute is missing? (assuming that attempts
> defaults to 1 if not
> specified)

I do not believe the maxRetries value should ever be disregarded.

(1) When maxRetries > #delayTimes * #attempts the value of the last delay
time should be used after #delayTimes * #attempts. It does not matter if
this last delay time has an attempts value or not.

(2) When maxRetries < #delayTimes * #attempts we have a conflict!
Personally, I would honour the maxRetries value which is symetrical with
(1).

The nice thing about this is the current syntax still works and you get the
versatility you require.

-- Steve