james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Alexis Agahi <a...@users.sf.net>
Subject Re: James & OpenIM story?
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 05:58:12 GMT
On Tuesday 07 October 2003 07:43, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

> Where are you lost, and which code are you looking at, since we don't
> public CVS snapshots?

Sorry for the confusion, I was talking about cvs checkout
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/james-server/

> It seems to me that your Jabber service would need to share/adapt user
> repository information, plus integrate with the James pipeline as
> appropriate.  But before we talk coding, perhaps we should talk concepts.
> Where do YOU see points of integration?

You are right.

First of all I'm thinking about having same user storage. My problem how could
I use james users repository? The mailet for example doesnt provide the
abiity to create new user, but XMPP allows it. BTW this is not a big issue.

It should be nice to have a clean independent component shared by both James &
OpenIM (and also could be used by any apps). This is the idea behind "user
manager" cornerstone compenent I've post in avalon dev list.

After this first step, integrating OpenIM in James messaging pipeline is the
second goal. Here the problem is how can I distinguish an IM message from a
how and how could I route them for James or OpenIM.
BTW XMPP provide 'chat' messages and 'sort of email' message. Those could be
routed as email.

But as you mention is in the wiki, messaging notification could be an simple
application. Currently OpenIM is providing a service to allow simple
notificiation for any apps, so providing a James adaptor should be easy.

> q.v.: http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?JamesJabber

yep, sounds like a good todo list. ;)