james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What the EU OSS migration guidelines say about JAMES
Date Sat, 25 Oct 2003 22:47:32 GMT

On Saturday, Oct 25, 2003, at 21:46 Europe/Rome, Kervin L. Pierre wrote:

> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>
>> Keep in mind that sysadms configure stuff over the line, GUIs are
>> useless in those cases. Even more: if you tell a sysadm that he/she
>> has to use a GUI to configure something, he/she would not even
>> consider using it.
>
> Stefano, I'm have to disagree with on that.

I'm completely fine with disagreement, expecially on these matters that
are so subjective.

I didn't suggest james to avoid having a GUI, I just said that it
should *not* be mandatory to use it.

The sysadm I know like vi over ssh and they hate SWAT and the tomcat
web interface. I'm no sysadm, but I do help manage the box that runs my
email remotely (runs qmail->bogofilter->cyrus) and it has been serving
me very well the ability to just ssh->vi->kill-HUP something.

if I couldn't do the same with james, I would simply not use it, even
if it had all the features I need (and it doesn't, IMAP+bogofilter are
vital for me)

I'm aware that james will never replace qmail/postfix because there is
no way it can handle the same amount of load, but an integrated and
extensible mail serving solution is still something I'm interested in
(even after all these years) for small to medium messaging needs or for
very complex mail-driven scenarios [like a messaging-based workflow
system, for example]

So, don't get me wrong: I have nothing against GUIs, they are pretty
and useful for some. Just keep in mind those guys that have to manage a
box from a few thousand miles away.

--
Stefano.