james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHam...@EarthLink.net>
Subject Re: RemoteDelivery progressively increasing delay-time
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 13:18:28 GMT
Regarding the timing of subsequent tries to overcome network failures,
I have seen the phrase "exponential backoff strategy" used.  I thought
I had seen that in RFC 2821.  But if it were there I expect Noel would
have reported it.

As I understand it, the delays in an exponential backoff strategy
would be computed as in the following example.

If the goal is to have 5 retries which end after 5 days, then my
calculator says the first delay should be about 13.4 seconds (5
days)**(1/5).  (Where ** means "raised to the power of".)

13.4**1 =      13 ~= 13 seconds
13.4**2 =     180 ~= 3 minutes
13.4**3 =   2,406 ~= 40 minutes
13.4**4 =  32,242 ~= 9 hours