james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: James & OpenIM story?
Date Tue, 07 Oct 2003 16:59:13 GMT

Steve Short wrote:

>>Merlin is fine, although not quite where James can use it yet
>>as a standard platform.  The primary issue, AFAIK, is
>>Merlin's logging support, and Steve is working to fix it.
>>

>Also Merlin doesn't have support for JMX and one of the goals on the
>James roadmap is to improve monitoring / management via JMX.

Merlin has some preliminary JMX support in place but it is very
experimental.  The strategy is to provide fine-grain management of
component type managers (Appliances) and containers (Blocks) that are
registered automatically by the kernel.  Once this is in place we deal
with loading of MBeans supplied by components. The Appliance/Block
managers should be interesting as this will enable things like
redeployment of a system sub-set using updated configurations.

In the meantime - addition of Excalibur Logging is right up high on the
agenda.

Cheers, Steve.

>Steve

Stephen J. McConnell