james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard O. Hammer" <ROHam...@EarthLink.net>
Subject Re: Problems with outgoing email
Date Sun, 12 Oct 2003 02:31:22 GMT
Chandru wrote:
> I have a similar issue where the connection times out trying to contact
> yahoo.com (exception below).  Shoudn't james be trying to contact the
> mail server (mx?.mail.yahoo.com) instead?

This reminds me of something I've seen in the finally block in
org.apache.james.dnsserver.DNSServer.findMXRecords(hostname).  You can
see the code below.  If the DNS lookup fails to find MX records, then
findMXRecords may return simply the hostname from the email address.

So possibly your MX lookup is not working.  I would check first to
confirm that you have the nameservers configured correctly.

Rich Hammer

        } finally {
             //If we found no results, we'll add the original domain
name if
             //it's a valid DNS entry
             if (servers.size () == 0) {
                 StringBuffer logBuffer =
                     new StringBuffer(128)
                             .append("Couldn't resolve MX records for
domain ")
                             .append(hostname)
                             .append(".");
                 getLogger().info(logBuffer.toString());
                 try {
                     InetAddress.getByName(hostname);
                     servers.add(hostname);
                 } catch (UnknownHostException uhe) {
                     // The original domain name is not a valid host,
                     // so we can't add it to the server list.  In this
                     // case we return an empty list of servers
                     logBuffer = new StringBuffer(128)
                                 .append("Couldn't resolve IP address
for host ")
                                 .append(hostname)
                                 .append(".");
                     getLogger().error(logBuffer.toString());
                 }
             }
         }