james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Re: MailetException vs MessagingException
Date Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:18:05 GMT
Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini wrote:
> Currently MailetException, whose author was Serge, extends MessagingException without
adding anything, so it's indifferent, but there must have been some rationale behind all this
in the past, that I'm missing. Some mailets even throw both kinds of exceptions, like JDBCListserv,
JDBCAlias, JDBCVirtualUserTable, CommandListservProcessor and others.

MailetException was supposed to be a Mailet-level exception, while
MessagingException is IO level.  It was supposed to be inline with the
servlet API's concepts of ServletException vs. IOException.  I hadn't
seen the point in having two separate extensions from Exception, so I
thought this would keep the method signature a bit smaller.

--
Serge Knystautas
President