james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen McConnell <mcconn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Merging plan (was Build process in maven?)
Date Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:06:55 GMT

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Excalibur IO is depricated in favour of Commons IO.  However, the
>>cornerstone-store package used a number of IO utilities not available
>>within the commons-io package
>>

>So we need commons-io,

No - you don't need commons-io (I just mentioned that Excalibur IO
was depricated in favour of Commons-IO).

>plus the additional set of classes necessary to
>support Cornerstone Store, and you've moved the latter into the store
>implementation package.

Yep - for example - you have references to IOUtil.  I chose to include a
copy inside Store in order to eliminate the issue.  You could perhaps
include a copioes of the sources in james/util.

>>Keeping in mind that thought the cornerstone release process
>>I was paying a lot of attention to James and implications of
>>what I was doing
>>

>And we thank you.  :-)
>

>>However, doing a quick check its sems that a few others Excalibur io
>>classes were either missed by me or have crept into the NNTP package
>>

>NNTP hasn't been changed in more than 6 months.

Then I missed it.
(or I spotted it but figured it was resolvable)

>>No problem - the sources for these are in avalon-excalibur/compatibility
>>so copying them locally into James should not be a problem.
>>

>So you propose to move them into org.apache.james.util.io?

That's what I would do - just the classes you need.  If you do a quick
scan for excalibur.io you will find about 7 or 8 utility classes that
are used across all of James. None of them are terribly interesting (or
at least I didn't find them terribly interesting) - and they seem to be
used internally within implementations.

Steve.

>	--- Noel

Stephen J. McConnell