james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Excalibur Logger Improvements
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:55:07 GMT
> >I know we can rotate on size, but what would be the easiest way to keep
just
> >the above sort of size limited log?  Is there a suitable log
implementation
> >already provided?

> The way I deal with this is to create child loggers to seperate out
> these sort of concerns.  In the SMTP server you are suipplied a logger
> and in the code you can invoke something like:

>    Logger protocolLogger = getLogger().getChildLogger( "protocol" );

> In you log configration you should be able to declare a seperate
> priority and possible seperate target for the james.smtp.protocol
> logging category.

Yes, I understood that, Steven, although I thank for you the clear
explanation.  You will find almost that exact line of code in James.java
where it gets the mailet logger, since the Mailet log is a child of the
James log.

The question wasn't how to get the protocol logger, but rather how to have a
log file limited to either a certain size or number of log entries.  I'm
only familar with the rotation scheme, which could be used to rotate when
the log reaches a limit, but that doesn't appear to directly handle the
issue of keeping just the most recent messages, without having an external
process deleting the old logs.

	--- Noel