james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject Re: Merging plan (was Build process in maven?)
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:19:04 GMT

Serge,

>Since EJB is a rather "loaded?" term, could you give specifics on what
>migrating to EJB means?

Simply meant that we might consider adopt a technology which would allow us
to distribute James in the same manner as EJB's deployed in different
containers connecting to each other using JNDI and RMI.

>The two things I can think are:
>1. Use session bean notion where appropriate.  For example, maybe that's
>how the spool works.
>2. Adopt JMS to route messages between the different queues and spools.

>JMS is probably my least familiar EJB technology, but as we've somewhat
>already agreed that we want to separate mail repository from spooling
>notions, JMS might fit very well.

I'm not suggesting how we do it at the moment, just fishing for Ideas.
On the whole I think I'd like to see a requirement for James to be
distributable, with services deployed remotely from each other.

> We I suspect would then be able, using our current workflow, to offer
> scaleability, redundancy and fail-over for almost every service.

>Again, not sure this is directly tied to EJB.  Granted there is much
>more work (that I can see) creating EJB containers that support
>distributed notions than Avalon containers,

EJB containers support remote and local access, if Avalon can provide us
with a container into which we can deploy James services
and access them remotely then fine, otherwise pwerhaps we should look at
de-coupling our services and providing a means of accessing them which
makes no distinction about where they are.

>but I don't think either
>gives up much right now.  I'm still waiting for the Avalon containers to
>stabilize basic server features like friendly configuration errors,
>logging management, stuff like that, and am looking forward to the new
>releases we'll get with 3.0.

Me too.

viruses.