james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject JDK 1.3 vs 1.4 (was: RE: Excluding DNS entries from lookup?)
Date Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:16:43 GMT

(this went to the wrong list ..)

Guys,

I have a *little* insight into this since taking up my *new**job* ;-)

Serge wrote:
> Sounds like a better approach, but then do we require JDK 1.4?  With JDK
> 1.5 on the horizon, maybe it's not such a bad idea.

Noel added:
> We would require it for that feature.  Not in general.  And we still have
> too many JDK 1.3 users to require JDK 1.4, according to the responses we
get
> every time we ask.  :-)

We use Oracle, oc4j from 9iAS is stuck on 1.3 and although we don't use
James we are stuck on 1.3 because of the oracle thing.

I've been undecided about the jvm issue before, but I'm now tending towards
thinking that the longer we can avoid using 1.4 the better it is for uptake
by large slow moving ICT places where the decision to use 1.4 in a server
environment may be more involved (even political) that it perhaps should
be.

d.

The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the
addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible
for delivery of the message to the intended recipient) please notify us
immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the message from your computer. You
may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its contents to any other
person. As Internet communications are capable of data corruption Student
Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for changes made
to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be inappropriate
to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining
written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or the
sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is your
responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views expressed
in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the opinions and
views of The Student Loans Company Limited.

presence of computer viruses.