james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Merging plan (was Build process in maven?)
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2003 09:47:07 GMT

>Danny contributed the Mailet API changes.  Stephen did the Avalon changes.
>Other than that, I think I committed most of the changes to MAIN.  And I
>kept them in since until sometime this summer, IIRC.  I don't know of any
>features present in MAIN that are not in v2.

I feel that it's important for me for admit that while I'm glad that my
changes stoked the fires of public opinion, so to speak..
the ideas expressed by everyone else in response are way better and I'd be
more than happy to see all my work abandoned in favour of the approaches
which I think we've accepted by lazy concensus.

In Particularly using JNDI for "avalon free" access to repository and
service resources implemented using avalon technology appeals.

In fact the more I look at this the more tempted I am to suggest we go one
step further and implement all of our services as EJB's (or explore what
avenues Avalon provides for distributing our services) as this would give
admins the choice of installing James as a single local application, or of
distributing the services across a range of JVM's or hardware.

Imagine if James could have a POP3 or IMAP server (Both would be my
prefrence BTW) on one machine, the incoming SMTP server on another, mailets
capable of calling services (like outgoing SMTP) running elsewhere again,
more than one machine acting as worksharing spool managers, and each
repository being run directly on the hardware providing the storage.

We I suspect would then be able, using our current workflow, to offer
scaleability, redundancy and fail-over for almost every service.

To my mind that would _really_ be an Enterprise solution.

Who wants to aim at that for v4?

d.

viruses.