james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Serge Knystautas <ser...@lokitech.com>
Subject Future direction for James
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:54:14 GMT
James was originally created for the mailet concept, i.e., Java based
email processing.  This has been done "ok" so far.. the 2.2 release has
a better classloader that makes it easier to do this, but there still
hasn't emerged a great Mailet SDK/IDE plug-in.

Meanwhile, James is being adopted as a straight email server
replacement.  The code is much more scalable, and we've got notional
requirements from ASF infrastructure that we're using as a target.

IMHO, one area that James struggles is configurability:
- Restart for every conf change.
- All in XML files (or worse, a database)
- Troubleshooting is non-intuitive and tough at best, and
- No consensus on how to support more complex processing logic (matcher
params, BSD scripting, etc...)

Looking over the config files for qmail on ASF infrastructure makes you
appreciate the expertise that the ASF has.  The large files with rules
to block emails based on subject or attachment patterns is, well,
impressive.  Right now James has no manageable way to support this.

At the same time, we get questions about extracting protocol handlers,
embedding in JBoss or other apps, and otherwise componentizing James.

I'm curious to see where people think James should go...
a. Push towards more developer friendly uses, e.g., embedding in
different Avalon containers, w/JBoss, extractable protocol handlers, etc..?
b. Towards more sysadmin friendly uses, e.g., scripting in protocol
handlers, complex processor logic, etc...

These aren't mutually exclusive goals, and I recognize the real driver
will be people making these changes.  Nonetheless, I'm curious what
people think.

--
Serge Knystautas
President