james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Future direction for James
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2003 04:52:00 GMT
I agree that dynamic reconfiguration is a container issue.  I am not sure
that we need to do anything with Mailets.  I think that we can stick with
the processor is a the configurable entity, or possibly even just the
spooler.

> Yes, the matcher/mailet syntax issue does need to resolved.

I think we had a consensus on it, recorded in the wiki.  That should allow
the user of BSF.  Also, I think that it makes sense to consider a Jelly
processor, which would have more control than a Mailet.  I mention Jelly
just because it already has hooks into Avalon, and BSF can run under Jelly.
Native BSF would work, too.

> Maybe the best route is to improve Phoenix, maybe it means switching
> containers, possibly to Merlin. What ever it takes.

My understanding is that Merlin is intended to be the basis for the next
generation Avalon container.  The community is trying to standardize on one
flexible codebase that they can jointly maintain.  I don't expect Phoenix to
evolve beyond its current state.  More likely, some of its code will be
subsumed into Merlin.

	--- Noel