james-server-dev mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Future direction for James
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 04:55:40 GMT
> Sieve would be nice if there is the impression that other people are
> familiar with it.  That said, I'm not sure there really is.

A year ago, sieve wasn't an IETF RFC, and there were maybe two sieve related
projects on SourceForge, one of which was CMU libsieve.  Things have
changed, although I think we'd still be ahead of the curve.  We were, and
still are, ahead of the curve with Bayesian filtering.

> My idea was to take Jython (and I guess something similar is done with
> BSF) to create our own scripting framework.  We continue to use mailets
> and matchers by exposing them to the script.  The configuration for such
> a processor would be a) the location of the script file (or inline it)
> and b) a list of mailets and matchers with their configuration info.

So you would use the scripting language to implement more complex logic, and
still use Matchers and Mailets as conditional/functional components
respectively.  That sounds like it would fit in with the idea that Steve had
about adding scripting to the existing processor model, although I still
believe   that such a scripting processor is different from LinearProcessor.

> The hardest part for these scripting solutions is addressing processor
> forking.  When you get a partial recipient match in a matcher, Linear
> Processor handles cloning the message and dividing the recipient list.
> I'm not sure how any of these BSF/Jelly/Jython solutions could handle
that.

I am not sure if they would or not either.  I think that most uses of a
scripting system would be all or nothing.  But these scripting systems allow
us to extend the object model, so we could provide tools to allow them more
control.  That would certainly be necessary to implement your concept,
above.

That could be a nice idea.  And it would help keep scripting users from
going too far off, and away from matchers and mailets.

	--- Noel