james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Future direction for James
Date Tue, 18 Nov 2003 09:07:48 GMT

> I don't see the advantage of creating a new container just to get the
> language support for matchers, which seems to be part of what you are
> suggesting, if I understand you correctly.

I was trying to accomodate Noel's idea, I'm not 100% sure why he thinks we
need a SIEVE processor, but I imagine a SEIVE processor could do things
like instatiate a seive engine

> An alternative approach is used in the currently submitted
ScriptedMatcher
> and ScriptedMailet, which support any BSF language.

Agreed, and fits the pattern etc. etc. I have no issues with this nice
work.

> A new container makes sense for something like Sieve, which implements
its
> own mail flow. It has no need of, and it would be difficult to
inter-operate
> with, individual Mailets. So, there is no point it carrying the overhead.
> Sieve container would be James aware and we would declare Tests (like
> Matchers) and Commands (like Mailets) to Sieve which under the covers may
> exploit James facilities to do their work. Administrator written Sieve
code
> would use these blissfully unware that it was running in James and the
> developer of this code would only have to understand the Sieve process
flow,
> not that of James.

I was trying to visualise a system which permitted sieve flow control and
invoked mailets in response to seive.

d.

viruses.