james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject RE: Status of JMS
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2003 16:41:38 GMT

Noel,

> That is my position, as well.  Considering that I used to write real-time
> embedded kernels for a living (albiet a couple of decades ago),
performance
> is never far from my mind.  Personally, I think that JMS is overkill, but
it
> has been recommended that we look at it, so I'm asking the geronimo team
> what the status is so that we can evaluate.  I've other alternatives in
> mind, as well.

Fair points, and I'd stress that I'm not against JMS per se, but to explain
the background to my position.. I was involved with a messaging product
which didn't implement JMS because it was considered to be too much of a
jack of all trades, compromised in some areas to facilitate others, and it
doesn't offer any major benefit where compliance (interoperability) isn't a
requirement.
In my current position I'm working on removing JMS from a system because
the time overhead and the problems caused when queues get out of hand is
unacceptable to my bosses. We're actually just moving functionality into
the same container having demonstrated that it doesn't require to be a
fully fledged remote application.

JBOSS seem to be building v4 using the jmx architecture throughout making
it very manageable (cycling individual components is one feature they
advertise which appeals to me WRT James, and the ability to embed other
MBeans or embed their MBeans elsewhere is also something which fits with my
own vision of James.

Anyway lets carry on turning over rocks and see what crawls out

d.

viruses.