james-server-dev mailing list archives

From Danny Angus <Danny_An...@slc.co.uk>
Subject CVS how to swap HEAD and a Branch? (was RE: CURRENT direction for James :-))
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2003 09:22:35 GMT

> How that happens?  Uh ... Serge?  Danny?  CVS mavens?  :-)

A quick survey of google reveals that HEAD is quite possibly just a "magic"
Tag.

So ... we merge those parts of 3 we want with whichever 2 branch which we
want to become the HEAD and check them into the 2 branch.

It *ought* to be possible then to checkout and  tag the HEAD as BRANCH_3

and remove the HEAD tag from this branch

then checkout our 2 branch

and tag it with HEAD.

Thats just a guess though, it still might pay to post this question to
infrastructure@ in case I'm wrong or there are any nasty gotchas, so I'm
cc'ing them in on this.
 TIA infrastructure guys :-)
d.

FYI Noel wrote:

"As I understand the concept, the desired changes from MAIN will be merged
into branch_2_1_fcs.
Then MAIN will be pushed off as a branch (or we can just tag it as
PRE_2_2_MERGE),
and somehow branch_2_1_fcs will be merged back as MAIN."

d.

viruses.